A condition causing inflammation of the eyelids, commonly at the edges, and usually affecting both eyes.

Testing for blepharitis

Your GP is the best person to diagnose your conjunctivitis. They will ask about your symptoms and examine you.

They may take a swab of your eye and send it to a laboratory to be tested. This will help in identifying the cause of your conjunctivitis. Your GP might refer you to an ophthalmologist (a doctor who specialises in eye health).

For healthcare professionals, advanced information about diagnosis is available on our Practitioner Site.

What are your symptoms?